Friday, December 30, 2011

A Word from the Mercy Ship in West Africa

Greg and Becca Kulah
It’s not okay with me that every day over 26,000 children die of preventable diseases related to poverty.  Hearing these numbers can be overwhelming and actually mind numbing.  Many sad statistics are told everyday and different pictures of malnourished children shown but until you see it the numbers seem so distant.  Sadly it wasn’t until these past few years of living in Africa that this number became a personal reality to me as I have seen many children die.  Aminata, Annicette, James, Emmanuel, to name a few.  These numbers became names, each of whom I had grown to know and love.  Recently I read a great book called “The Hole in our Gospel” by Richard Stearns.  One conversation from the book that stuck with me was:

“Person 1: Sometimes I would like to ask God why he allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when he could do something about it?
Person 2: Well why don’t you ask him?
Person 1: Because I’m afraid he would ask me the same question.”

1 John 3: 17-18~ If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion – how can God’s love be in that person?  Dear children let us not just say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. We have the means to help.  We have the skills to help.  We have the wisdom to help.  But will we? It’s not okay with me that so many of our brothers and sisters die every day of things that I could help prevent. 

Becca Taylor serves as a nurse and health educator on the Mercy Ship

2 comments:

  1. It is true a lot of infants and kids die (20 thousand a day app) from preventable diseases; but the number stated 200,000 is grossly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. The number is most likely a tyopgraphical error. We will check on that and get it updated correctly.

      Delete